Monday, September 10, 2012

Maybe I Am A Writer

Writing.  That was my subject last time, and guess what?  I have been doing pretty well.  I started getting up early and writing, only on weekdays though.  Weekends and evenings are for my family.  Early mornings are for writing.  And lo, the book is progressing.  I'm SO excited!  I have my "beta readers" and a critique partner, and I just got a volunteer (whom I trust) to edit for grammar and such.....I think I may just finish in the timeline that I hoped.  I haven't been blogging, but things will hopefully balance out.  I did attend a conference that I still want to blog about....

Oh, and I entered a short story contest over at Figment.  You can read it here.  It is much different than my WIP, and took me away for a little bit, but it was also refreshing, and a big step putting myself out there for potential rejection, even if it is "just" a contest.  *deep breath*
The decision might be made this week, if I'm not mistaken....I really don't know if I stand a chance or not.  I can't bring myself to read the other entries.  You, of course are more than welcome to.  Here is the link for that.  There are over 1,000 entries.  It wouldn't be that stressful, but the winning entry gets published in a real and proper book,  an anthology from Harper Teen called Defy the Dark edited by Saundra Mitchell, who is also judging the contest.  I'm not really hopeful, but there is that part of me that says "yeah, but what if".  We shall see.  I shall, of course be happy for whoever does win.

Over the weekend my sisters and I shared a whirlwind road trip with our Dad to surprise my Aunt Joann for her 70th birthday.  Over 500 miles, one way, leaving Friday, returning Sunday.  It was both exhausting and great fun.  I am thankful to have had the opportunity to visit with family, and spend time with my Dad and sisters.  (and youngest nephew who, at almost 2, was remarkably well behaved....and very cute)


Yesterday I was privileged to pay a visit to my Grandparents' farm, which also happens to be the main setting of my WIP.  It was wonderful and tragic all at the same time.  So much has changed.  With both of my Grandparents gone, the place is a shadow (and not just aesthetically) of the way it was even twenty years ago.  Before yesterday, I hadn't been there in about three years.  It is good to know that there are some aspects of the place that are still there.  The house remains mostly unchanged, Granddad's books are still on the bookshelf, much of Grandma is ingrained heavily throughout the house.  My Aunt, who still lives there, is a creature of habit, and changes don't come easy, which is good for my nostalgia.  (although sometimes that means she still treats me as though I am eight)

While visiting on Saturday with some of my Mom's family (the above mentioned farm belonged to my Dad's parents) someone mentioned I was writing a book, naturally my aunts wanted to know what it was about.....I wasn't sure I was ready for that kind of attention.  I'm a bit insecure, in case no one has noticed.  Now I feel the need to get this book finished and published even more......no pressure.  I keep reminding myself that part of writing is having other people read what you have written.....and it is scary.  Really scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment