Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Well...

...since the last posting, I've visited Copenhagen, Venice, Barcelona, Athens (no street view....bummer), a few random places, and various locations in Mexico. The latter, just this morning. It is Cinco de Mayo, after all!


Also, I did finish 13 Little Blue Envelopes, which I enjoyed very much. This is the story of a young girl (Ginny) who's Aunt Peg passes away and leaves her letters, 13 of them, hence the title, and money with explicit instructions. Ginny is to purchase a backpack, passport, and plane ticket to London. She is to take nothing that does not fit into said backpack, and no cell phones, cameras, or additional money. (for a better description, go here) I was intrigued by the premise of the story, and decided, finally, to read it. Sometimes books go "on my list" and languish there for years. Others, I will snatch up as soon as I can get my hands on them. Such as Lips Touch, by Laini Taylor, just to give one example. Back on topic, Jen.... So, Ginny has many adventures all over Europe. Along the way, she meets many fascinating new people, learns much about herself and her beloved aunt, and ultimately comes to terms with reality that Aunt Peg is really gone, and not just away. This fun, touching, and often humorous story is very well written. Maureen Johnson's quirky sense of humor actually made me laugh out loud a few times. Which always makes my husband wonder what I'm reading, and then I get to share the story, and what struck me as amusing, which is fun. I like to share stories. I was also moved to tears a time or two, which is a quieter thing, and he probably didn't notice as he was asleep. Making the reader feel and care about the characters in the story is such a wonderful skill. Not all writers can do this, just the best ones. I am so very glad that I finally picked up and read this book. (note: my daughter read it years ago....I should listen to my daughter more.....although my reading it has inspired her to re-read it, which is fun too) Not surprisingly, 13 Little Blue Envelopes has won multiple awards, much deserved awards.


And now, I should get to work....

1 comment:

  1. I'm jumping on Amazon right now and tossing it in my cart! Maybe a couple of copies--it's always good to have an extra great book on hand, isn't it? For old students, or nieces, or friends who love YA as much as I do . . . :)

    ReplyDelete