Monday, August 16, 2010

New Look

Hi! It is "Back to School" time here, and I'm feeling a little old with my son starting 5th grade, my nephew starting middle school, my niece starting high school, and my daughter starting college! But, that is what kids do, they keep growing and changing and getting older. Guess we all do, and hopefully we keep learning.....and reading great books.

Recently, I finished Dragon Flight, by Jessica Day George. This is the sequel to Dragon Slippers. There is a third book called Dragon Spear, which I have yet to read, but hope to do so soon. I love stories about dragons, that is no secret. Dragons who have not only intelligence and wisdom, but a sense of humor, and real personality are the best. Ms. George does a fantastic job of creating a fascinating story of humans and dragons existing together, or trying to. The main human character, Creel, is an interesting young lady who is independent, determined, and a very talented seamstress. I don't know that I've ever read anything that so successfully tied together embroidery and dress-making with dragons and impending wars. You have to read them in order to understand, I guess. (I don't want to tell you the whole story.) The issue of prejudice between the humans and dragons as presented here is very interesting as well, and can easily translate into real-life situations.....without seeming like it is a lesson at all.....who wants to be taught a lesson while reading a great story? But, we are influenced by what we read.....so in that way everything we read contains a lesson, I suppose.....

Maybe I'm rusty.....did any of that make any kind of sense? I hope so. If not, don't give up on my yet. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment